Monday, January 12, 2009

Grandparents and Funnerals

Paul and I know how lucky we are to have known so many of our Grandparents.

I lost Grandpa Cole (77) in High School and Grandma (92) was just in the summer of 2007. The funeral for Grandma Fuller (92) was at the beginning of this month and Grandpa (93) is still in great health and we expect him to be around for a long time.

Paul's story is a little different. Grandma Thomas (52) died before he was born, but Grandpa Thomas remarried, so Paul still had 2 grandparents on that side. Grandma Baker (60) passed when Paul was an infant, but again, Grandpa Baker remarried, so he knew 2 grandparents there too. He didn't loose Grandpa Baker (85) until he was in college and Grandpa Thomas (97) passed early this month. His 2 step-grandmothers are both still alive.

Due to the funerals, we've spent some time lately traveling and visiting family and want to share some of that with you. I'm the one writing about my Grandma and Paul is writing about his Grandpa.

(Jen) I went by myself to Grandma Fuller's funeral in Sacramento, California, but Paul stayed home with the boys. (It was the first time he had ever had the boys all to himself for 4 days and he had a great time, but was glad to have me come home.) I was in Sacramento with my siblings, their 2 children, and my sister in law and mother. My 2 cousins who live in LA and my Aunt and Uncle that live here in Houston were there as well. Her service was at the Presbyterian church she and Grandpa had attended for 50 years and it was a lovely service that showed how much she was loved and what a wonderful woman she was. Grandpa had picked some wonderful scriptures and I read a beautiful poem one of their friends had written before his own death. People spoke about how much they enjoyed playing bridge with my Grandma and how she spoke her mind. She was interred in the town she was raised in, Placerville, CA and many members of our extended family are also there. It is right across the street from her Grandmother's home, the Bennet Home, which is now the Sequoia Restaurant. I had a great visit with my family and we helped clean out the house a little, although Grandpa is still living there. I was able to bring home some fabulous children's books for our library here and Grandpa let me have some of Grandma's jewelry which I will treasure and already wear often. Up until her death, she was in great health and still traveled to Houston to see us once or twice a year, so I got to see her often. I love my Grandma a lot and am glad I had so many years to get to know her.

Here's some pics I took while I was there.

Grandma's casket

Grandpa and my Uncle Tom

My mom, Aunt Nancy and cousin Ryan

My brother Marc and cousin Lindsay

My sister Marcia and nephew Brycen

(Paul) Shortly after Jen returned home we learned of my Grandpa's passing so we then went to Utah and Idaho for Grandpa Thomas funeral. His funeral was held in Pocatello ID. Despite the cost, I felt it was very important to take the entire family since I had grown up pretty close to all of my cousins on my father's side and knew this would be a great family reunion. In total there are 85 grand and great-grand children and almost all of them came.

My grandpa’s funeral was awesome, as far as funerals go. Grandpa wasn't necessarily a successful man as far as worldly standards are concerned. He was college educated, trained to be a teacher, but provided for his family by working as a switchman for the railroad. The funeral certainly had an unintended underlying theme. Love. My Grandpa loved, unconditionally. He showed that love to his family and in his church service. With all of his children and grandchildren living out of town, my grandpa volunteered, at age 80, at the local elementary school and became a loving grandpa there for 13 years. During the course of his nearly 100 year life he repeatedly said that the greatest invention of his lifetime was the telephone. I tried to call my grandpa often during the last few years. I would talk to him about family, the railroad, baseball, things that he loved. But the message that rang true to him was knowing that we loved him. Ultimately that was the only reason I would call, to tell him that I and my family loved him. Even though I didn't live close to my grandpa, I felt very close to him my entire life. Each time we talked or went to visit he would say "I'm glad you're mine." He meant it, and we knew it. Grandpa’s funeral was a moment to honor him that I am glad I didn't miss. And it changed me, motivating me to love more, and to invest more in treasure that has true value.

Here's some of the family pictures taken after the funeral.

The David Thomas Family


The Harold Thomas Family

We miss our Grandparents, and hope we don't have any more funerals for some time, but are glad we are so close to our families and that we know how important they are.

1 comment:

Julie said...

I'm sorry you guys started out the year with 2 funerals. That means things can only get better though, right?