This post doesn’t have any pictures, but I’m going to share what we’ve been up to this summer.
I began this summer with a plan for what we were going to do every day because I didn’t want the boys just watching TV or playing the video games all day long. I sat down with Aaron back in May and we decided on a summer schedule.
- 8am – breakfast and morning chores
- 9am - typing lesson and workbooks
- 10am – playtime
- 11am – typing lesson and workbooks
- 12am – lunch
- 1pm – naptime and scriptures and piano lesson
- 2pm – playtime
- 3pm – reading
- 4pm – pick up house
Both Aaron and I thrive on schedules and this has worked pretty well for our family this summer. Now don’t get me wrong, we aren’t totally regimented on this every day, and they still play video games way too much, but when they complain that they don’t know what to do, I look at the clock and say “It’s 3pm, it’s reading time!” (We had this awesome reading bingo chart and it totally motivated the boys to read a lot!)
This is the first year Aaron has participated in Cub Scout Day Camp and he had a great time. We carpooled with 2 of the other boys from our troop and over the course of the week he earned LOTS of arrow points, belt loops and pins. I think his favorite was the archery!
Both Aaron and Brian participated in a Science Camp this year too. They got to study electricity and magnets, the human body, sticky gooey oeey things, dinosaurs, flight and more. They had a blast! It was held at the local Methodist church where Brian did preschool in 2009-2010.
Aaron, Brian and Christian also did swimming lessons for 2 weeks this year taught by a wonderful young woman from our church who is now in college. Both Aaron and Brian had taken swimming lessons before but this was the first year for Chris. The first day he cried, but by the end of the second day he was swimming. When the lessons were over the teacher was able to throw him into the pool and he could swim to the side! He still doesn’t know how to take a breath, he holds his breath the whole time, but he loves swimming and it’s been fun to watch him learn. Aaron and Brian are getting better at swimming too and I hope they join the local swim team next summer.
There was also a week where Aaron and Brian went to friendship day camp which is put on by several young women in our church. They invite the local kids for 3 hours every day of crafts and fun. The boys love it. We look forward to it every summer!
Other than that we’ve just been hanging out here. Lots of hanging out at Grandma’s house and her pool. Lots of trips to the library (seriously at least every 2 weeks, usually dropping off and picking up 20-25 books!) Lots of being superheroes with foam sword fighting and nerf gun fighting. Lots of building with Lego, Tegu, geo-mags, Lincoln Logs, and foam blocks. Lots of matchbox cars. We’ve danced to the music on Pandora a lot (even David gets into it) and I’ve been a horse with one of the kids hitching a ride more times than I can count. (After re-reading that paragraph I realize those of you who have only girls probably have a REALLY different experience than me!)
Christian has watched WAY too many movies, but he just can’t get enough of Cars 1 and 2 and Toy Story 1, 2 and 3.
Aaron and Brian each took turns helping cook and plan meals this summer with Aaron being in charge on Wednesdays and Brian on Thursdays. I still have a hard time just letting go and letting them make messes in the kitchen, but I’m trying to teach them and let them make mistakes. Actually I’m still really bad at letting them make mistakes, but I’m still trying!
There’s only a few weeks left in summer and I’ve got at least 3 more post coming so be ready!
1 comment:
Sounds like you guys have had a busy summer!
Post a Comment