McNair hall - home of the Jesse H. Jones School of Business
I was accepted to Rice University’s Jesse H. Jones Graduate School of Business. The program I am in is a 22 month program that would have me graduating in June 2011 with an MBA. Classes are generally in the evenings on Mondays, Wednesdays, and occasionally on the weekend. School officially started for me on August 3, in what they call ‘Immersion Week.’ Last week I was at school at 7:30AM each day with classes ending between 5:30 – 7:00PM depending on the day. And I was there until 9:30PM or so each night doing homework with my ‘team.’ Although there were a couple of nights we were there until midnight writing up our case analysis for our Competitive Strategy class. Then I’d come home and attempt to do the reading for the next day’s class, sometimes staying up until … really late.
Rice Owls
What surprised me the most was how engaging classes were and how much I really enjoyed the whole experience. I remember having some degree of dread in regards to class, and generally thinking it was a waste of time. But, so far, I am having an entirely different experience. Previously, if I had only had 4 -5 hours of sleep, it could be assumed that I would sleep through some portion of class. But, not once did I dose. Not that I didn’t like school before, but I think I am going to like school a little more this time around.
McNair hall - home of the Jesse H. Jones School of Business
One of the other elements of going back to school that has surprised me is how much fun I have had meeting my other classmates. For the last 8 years in Houston my circles have primarily consisted of people I know from church, with whom we share a common belief system, and people from work who are all ExxonMobil IT people. But the students that I work with in my team as well as those in my class come from varied countries, backgrounds, industries, belief systems, and experiences. I very much enjoyed interacting with all of them last week and look forward to the friendships and network that I will create in the next two years.
3 comments:
Congrats, Paul! What a beautiful campus. Good luck with all your graduate/family/church/work endeavors...we'll be praying for you!
I also thought that school was better after I had worked for a few years. Plus, it is so different getting a graduate degree than ungrad. Good luck!
wow! sounds like an adventure. I've got friends here doing the same thing right now (baby #3 was just born).
Those hawaii pictures look awesome!
Post a Comment