Friday, April 04, 2008

Skidamarink

A few months ago, Aaron found an old children's song book at Grandma and Grandpa Fuller's house. He brought it downstairs and he and Grandma started looking through it. Grandma remembered this song and taught it to Aaron. It has been sung many times since.


Skidamarink is a very popular children's song with a long fascinating history. It was originally the grand finale song of the 1910 Broadway musical, "The Echo". Since the title is not a real word it has had various spellings over the years.

Though the original musical only lasted a few months, the song endured and was re-popularized in the 1950s by Jimmy Durante.

Typical Version of Lyrics

Skidamarink a dink a dink,
Skidamarink a doo,
I - love - you!
Skidamarink a dink a dink,
Skidamarink a doo,
I - love - you!

I love you in the morning
and in the afternoon,
I love you in the evening
and underneath the moon;

Oh, Skidamarink a dink a dink,
Skidamarink a doo,
I - LOVE - YOU!

Thank you Aaron and Brian for your fantastic rendition!


3 comments:

Cristi said...

That's one of the most adorable things I've seen for some time! What a performance.

Naomi said...

I've seen some pretty cute things... that has got to be the cutest. He needs to sing louder in choir. Cute!

Anonymous said...

That was darling! I remember my granny singing that song to me when I was little. Cute!!