I spent the week of the 4th of July at Scout Camp. One of the blessings of my calling as Assistant Scoutmaster is to take a week of vacation to spend sleeping in a spider-infested tent during the sweltering Texas summer weather, and eating really bad camp food. It was so much fun! Six scouts and two Scoutmasters of Troop 1065 went to the El Rancho Cima Scout Camp in Fischer Texas about 180 miles north west of Houston. Technically this is the Texas Hill Country and is very pretty.
The boys that came with us all had a good time and each earned their nick-name. Shooter, Spider, Blade, Splinter, Bullseye, & Freight Train had a LOT of fun.
We got rained on Monday through Thursday. Averaging 2 inches per day. Our cheap store-bought ponchos didn’t hold up. But the 55 gallon trashbags sure did the trick at keeping us dry in a pinch. Our musty BSA issue tents kept our gear dry through the torrents of rain. That much rain raised the level of the river... and the current was pretty fast making the mile swim more challenging than usual. Freight Train pulled off the mile swim with a time just over 2 hours.
We took a short 5 mile night hike they call the “Death March.” It sounds torturous, but in reality was closer to a fast walk through a meadow. But it wouldn’t sound very cool calling it the Meadow Mosey. My hiking boots that I have had for 14 years met their demise on that hike, so I guess it was plenty vigorous. Breaking in new boots is never fun.
Seven days without shaving gave me a good start at growing my beard. I don't know how long I will keep it. But for now it is fun. Jen says I look handsome. And I think I am through the itchy phase.
As much fun as I had, coming home from scout camp gives new appreciation to home cooked meals a loving spouse... and air conditioning.

1 comment:
Gosh, Paul...last time I saw you with a beard was about a decade ago! Scout Master is a perfect calling for you tho...and very clever nicknames for the boys...that was cute. Sounds like you had a great time! We plan to do more camping once Warren's out of school. If we decide on a campground between here and Houston, we'll have to hook up with you and Jen and make it a combined event!
Post a Comment