HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
Last week Aaron started going to PPCD, a pre-school program through the school district, in the afternoon. He now is enrolled in 2 pre-schools, one at a Presbyterian church on Tuesdays and Thursday mornings from 9am-noon, and now goes every week day to a local elementary school from 12:40-3:40pm. Tuesdays and Thursdays are a little crazy as I have to pick him up, bring him home, feed him a "quick" lunch, then go drop him off at his new school. He obviously no longer gets an afternoon nap, which used to take place about half the time. He's definitely more tired, and a little more cranky, but he does sleep in a little later in the morning.
The teachers at this new school are supposed to help him out with his social issues and specific goals for him include initiating conversations, questions and comments with his peers. Since the PPCD class often moves slowly, he spends most of his time in the pre-K class. He likes that he gets to ride the school bus home and now suddenly notices school buses whenever we are in the car. I guess now I notice how many buses there are too! Don't you love being able to see the world through your kids eyes?
For those of you who don't know, the school district thinks my genius boy might fall somewhere on the Autism Spectrum. While I don't want to think that he has any problems, I'm glad that the school district is taking the initiative to help him at this young age. Next year they'll put him in a regular community pre-school program, but send a teacher to his school to help him on his issues. Please wish us luck as we continue to try to find what is best for him!
3 comments:
Jen, his bus driver is the best! I used to be her aide (as a sub) and she is the sweetest with the kids. I don't recognize her aide, but I'm sure she's sweet too.
Good luck with the PPCD. He should have fun & be that much more prepared for Kindergarten.
LUCK! Everything will be fine. I sensed worry in that last paragraph. Ride this experience like a wave but don't let anyone push you over. An in tune mother's gut is always right. And THANK YOU for the BROWNIES they were WONDERFUL! So yummy
What a big boy on that bus! I bet he loves it! Like Naomi said, go with your gut Jen. You are such an awesome mother and so in tune with him and that will never change!
Post a Comment